eev

Re: Eshell tutorial

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: Eshell tutorial
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:40:31 +0000

El 2022-09-17 22:23, Eduardo Ochs escribió:
> On Sat, 17 Sept 2022 at 22:10, Quiliro Ordóñez <quiliro@riseup.net> wrote:
1) they create temporary buffers that
> are not associated to any local files

That is a great feature that gives me ideas of how to use it for my own
werkings.

> Another advantage of using the minimalistic definitions above is that
> _some_ people will see that they can define functions that point to
> their webpages and git repositories in a similar way.

I didn't think about that. I don't know where my head was.  That is very
interesting!

> I hate sysadminning, so nowadays my machine - a laptop - is a "server"
> in very few senses.

I hate sysadminining too.  That is why I thought that having executable
scripts for setting up personal servers to avoid the Javascript
intrusion of corporation's clouds would be useful with eev.

I only use Debian, and when I install Debian on
> another partition the main things that I do are:
>
>   1) I install emacs and zsh with apt-get install,
>
>   2) I download http://angg.twu.net/edrx.tgz and unpack it in ~edrx,
>
>   3) I run some e-scripts that run lots of "apt-get install"s - see:
>      (find-es "bullseye" "2021aug16")
>
>   4) I run e-scripts that clone the emacs repo and compile an
>      emacs from upstream,

Yes.  I saw some of that.  It looks impressive.

>   5) I configure /etc/sudoers, /etc/fstab, and /etc/apt/sources.list
>      by editing them with sexps equivalent to these ones,
>
>        (find-fline "/sudo:root@localhost:/etc/sudoers")
>        (find-fline "/sudo:root@localhost:/etc/fstab")
>        (find-fline "/sudo:root@localhost:/etc/apt/sources.liat")

Please explain what you do with this and how you do it.

>      and I put in them some blocks of lines that are in my notes in
>      <http://angg.twu.net/e/>. These blocks usually start with a line
>      like
>
>        # From: (find-es "sudo" "sudo")

I get the file but the echo area gives me this error message:
save-excursion: Search failed: "«sudo»"

>      that points to my notes about that configuration.
>
> The main thing that I use that needs to be configured via menus is
> texlive - from upstream, not from Debian. My usual answers to its
> installer are the ones recorded here, after the "sudo ./install-tl":
>
>   (find-es "arxiv" "texlive-2019")
>
> Eepitch treats lines that start with two red stars as a comment. I
> should have use that to add comments explaining what is each answer...
> but I haven't done that.

It would be great if you documented your escripts.  It would be useful
for people that some time need to use that same process.

> There's more, but these are the main ideas.

Please don't let me stop you to tell us about them.  Just keep them
short.  I can then follow up easily.

Thank you very much for your great contributions, bona amiko.