eliot-general

Re: [Eliot-general] Installing when using fedora

From: Olivier Teuliere
Subject: Re: [Eliot-general] Installing when using fedora
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:55:48 +0100

Hello Anne,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM, anne Vanhoest <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would like to try using Eliot but I don't know how to install it on my pc
> which is running fedora core 17 with gnome 3.4.2.  Any help will be welcome.

Until someone volunteers for building a Fedora Core package, the only
way to install Eliot on this system is to build it from source.
Here are some instructions for building. As I don't have access to a
Fedora system to try these steps, do not hesitate to tell me if you
get stuck at some point (and copy the relevant logs and/or error
messages, please).

* Install development tools
As root, run the following command:
    yum install gcc gcc-c++ make automake kernel-devel

* Install some build dependencies
As root, run the following command:
    yum install boost-devel qt-devel expat-devel libconfig-devel

* Download and build libarabica (unless it is already packaged):
    a) Download the latest release ([1]) and extract the archive
    b) Build with the following line:
       ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared --with-parser=expat && make
    c) Install it, as root:
       make install

* Get Eliot sources and extract the archive

* Build Eliot, with the following command:
    ./configure && make

* Install it, as root:
    make install

* Eliot can be started with the following command:
    /usr/local/bin/eliot

[1] http://www.jezuk.co.uk/cgi-bin/view/arabica/code

> Also, i tried installing it on my laptop too where I use xubuntu and gnome 2
> (I don't have it here so can't say what version) but could not find
> libconfig++9.

Could you please (re)try with the instructions listed on the
Debian/Ubuntu page?
I just built packages for oneiric and precise.

Best regards,
--
Olivier