eliot-general

Re: Eliot Interface

From: Olivier Teuliere
Subject: Re: Eliot Interface
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 18:16:18 +0200

Hi Martin,

Thanks for using Eliot and for reaching out with suggestions.

1. Allow users to set a higher font size for the scrabble rack, the menu system, and the letters on the scrabble board. I am getting older, and my eyes need larger letters.

On the main interface, there are vertical and horizontal separators which allow you to resize the rack and the board, making them bigger. One is on the right of the board, and the other one is below it (above the rack).

You can also use the Windows menu to show/hide so called "external board", which you can resize at will.

I am not sure about the menu system font. It is probably a system-wide setting, since Eliot relies on the Qt library for that.

2. For people like me, who can't think at warp speed, let users turn off the timer. Let them optionally have unlimited time.

 Unless you are using the "Topping" mode (which is definitely intended for players who think at warp speed), the timers should not matter during the game. You can freely ignore it.
Also note that you can change some timer-related parameters in the preferences (Settings -> Preferences).

3. Create a GDebi (*.deb) file that installs everything in one step.

I have never heard about GDebi, but Eliot does have already built packages for Ubuntu, see this page for installation details.
The packages were updated about a week ago to support Ubuntu Focal (the LTS version). If you are using another version of Ubuntu for which the above method does not work, let me know and I can probably create packages for you.

Best regards,
Olivier

Just moved from Windows 10 to Ubuntu Linux. Searched for a Linux version of Scrabble. Found your application.

Glad that you contributed a scrabble app for Linux. However, it would be really great if you made the following enhancements:

1. Allow users to set a higher font size for the scrabble rack, the menu system, and the letters on the scrabble board. I am getting older, and my eyes need larger letters.

2. For people like me, who can't think at warp speed, let users turn off the timer. Let them optionally have unlimited time.

3. Create a GDebi (*.deb) file that installs everything in one step.

Thanks again for creating the game.

--
Olivier