[eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module

From: Uwe Stöhr
Subject: [eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 02:43:54 +0100

Alex Fernandez schrieb:

My first problem is to install it as module. How do I do this?

It is really easy. Just go to the elyxer directory (where setup.py
resides) and do:
  > python setup.py install

I tried this method, but this won't work:

- when eLyXer is installed as module it resides in the same path as Python:
   C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages
  so when the administrator updates Python (as for example at my work), eLyXer
gets erased

- Installing a Python module requires Admin permissions while the official LyX installer provides to install LyX also only with normal user permissions.

- When LyX's configure.py is run, it checks if eLyXer is available. To be able to detect eLyXer, I would need to add C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages to LyX's known paths. But how should I do that? The registry doesn't have the information where eLyXer resides.

- as we found out, eLyXer.py needs to be started with the "-tt" option of python. But even when I have eLyXer installed as a python package, I cannot simply call
   python -tt elyxer
but must use
   python -tt "C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\elyxer"

So it turns out that installing eLyXer as Python module doesn't improve the
current situation.

regards Uwe