[eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module

From: Uwe Stöhr
Subject: [eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 18:10:00 +0100

Alex Fernandez schrieb:

- when eLyXer is installed as module it resides in the same path as Python:
  C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages
 so when the administrator updates Python (as for example at my work),
eLyXer gets erased

It should not, as long as it is a Python 2.6.x release.

They have a script that uninstall Python, delete its folder completely, and reinstall Python. This sounds logic because when I for example updated from Python 2.6.0 to 2.6.1 at home, SCons got broken. I had to uninstall the SCons module and reinstall it again - then it worked.

- When LyX's configure.py is run, it checks if eLyXer is available. To be
able to detect eLyXer, I would need to add C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages to
LyX's known paths. But how should I do that? The registry doesn't have the
information where eLyXer resides.

With the attached patch configure.py asks Python directly for a module
called elyxer. It was submitted to lyx-devel but I'm not sure if it
was accepted.

I'll test this solution.

- as we found out, eLyXer.py needs to be started with the "-tt" option of
python. But even when I have eLyXer installed as a python package, I cannot
simply call
  python -tt elyxer
but must use
  python -tt "C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\elyxer"

In fact the -tt flag was not necessary; what did the trick was calling:
  python elyxer.py
instead of simply using elyxer.py as an executable file:
  elyxer.py

But that doesn't work on Windows due to the paths with spaces. We therefore call all Python scripts with the -tt flag. Otherwise LyX cannot be installed in a path with spaces, but on WinXP the default installation path contains spaces.

regards Uwe