Re: [eLyXer-users] Elyxer svg file conversion problems.

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Elyxer svg file conversion problems.
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:22:16 -0500

Alex Fernandez wrote:
Hi Bill,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
I suggest a --conv <file-name> elyxer option with which we can provide
a file of conversion rules. For each file to be converted elyxer searches
the file from the top down and use the first conversion rule that
matches. Here is an example:

fig1.svg fig2.svg : inkscape %f --export-png=%b.png
--export-area=-44:16:-28:32
*.svg : inkscape %f --export-png=%b.png
*.xfig : xfig %f %b.png
* : convert %f %b.png
Hey Bill C., that is a great idea.   :-)

It is indeed interesting, if a bit involved: you have to build a
conversion script file. For the same money you could also build a
little .sh (or .bat) which converts images to your liking and then
runs eLyXer. Would having a conversion script be much better, and
therefore justify the development?

I convert my images externally with a make file now, so I'm good.
But, if *you* want elyxer to be in the conversion business then
users need a way of controlling the conversion process.
If I *were* to use a .svg then I would need a way of converting
it to a png with a controlled call to inkscape.
But, like I said, I'm good.

I suggest inclusion of a version number at the top of the file.
If elyxer ever needs to change the interpretation of the file:
- It invents a new syntax with a corresponding new verion number.
- When reading the file it uses the version number to guide interpretation.
- It should continue to support old versions for the foreseeable future.

My current policy is that this kind of files should work forever, and
all changes be backwards-compatible. One example is for the online CSS
file: I had to break compatibility once (that I know of) for image
sizing, but it was only on IE 5-6 and only for images without explicit
sizing. In general old eLyXer files should work with newer CSS files.

I agree, bug sometimes you need to make a change which
can not be done in a compatible way. Enter the version number.
But, like I said, I'm good.

Keep up the good work.

Bill