Re: [eLyXer-users] Re: Advice for another LyX-oriented project

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Re: Advice for another LyX-oriented project
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:38:49 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Jack Desert <address@hidden> wrote:
> El Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:57:32 +0100
> Alex Fernandez <address@hidden> escribió:
>> My optimal solution would have been joint distribution: [snip]
>
>> Right now my ideal solution is rather joint distribution,
>
> I think you meant a different word in one of these sentences, but I can't put
> my finger on what it would be.

They need a qualifier: both senses of "joint distribution" are different.
* In the first situation eLyXer is uploaded into the LyX repos at
fixed intervals, probably after eLyXer releases; integrated and
released together.
* In the second eLyXer and LyX have different schedules, but they are
packaged and distributed together by integrators. At least on Windows;
on Debian it is enough to build two packages and make one suggest or
recommend the other, which is what happens here.

Maybe the first should be "joint development", (although in my optimal
solution development of eLyXer would happen elsewhere), or rather
"code integration"; and the second "joint packaging". Both of these
situations are common in Free software development. I used to prefer
the first, but now I think the second is best for eLyXer.

Alex.