Re: [eLyXer-users] Re: Advice for another LyX-oriented project

From: Jack Desert
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Re: Advice for another LyX-oriented project
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:05:53 -0500

> I notice that on windows (Vista, at least), a python file is not executable
> unless it has a .py extension. Is this why you chose to name the executable
> 'elyxer.py' instead of simply 'elyxer'? Or are there other reasons?

I'm still torn between modular vs executable usage. Executable usage seems to
require a .py extension on Windows which makes the name lyxblogger even longer.
Modular usage requires extra typing in its own way. Executable usage also
requires that the script be placed in the system path.

Windows options:
  python -m lyxblogger input_file.(x)html
  lyxblogger.py input_file.(x)html

Linux, Mac options:
  python -m lyxblogger input_file.(x)html
  lyxblogger input_file.(x)html

I also notice that in lib/configure.py you search for one module and two
programs:
  elyxer      (module)
  elyxer.py   (program)
  elyxer      (program)

Perhaps I should include both lyxblogger and lyxblogger.py as programs in
lib/configure.py. Then distribute zip files with lyxblogger.py and tar.gz files
with simply lyxblogger (no extension). Let's see.. simplicity.. consistency..
ease of use. Would love to have all three.

I would prefer to give installation instructions for just one method. Either as
an executable or as a module. It also saves the case where they have lyxblogger
installed both as a module and as a program. Then they forget which one they
are using when they either upgrade or go to edit the AUTO_LOGIN credentials.
Actually, since I am suggesting that they change the script by entering their
own AUTO_URL, having it as a script would save them having to reinstall the
module when they change the file.

Thoughts?

-Jack

Jack Desert     --    Writer, Entrepeneur
Author and Spokesman: www.LetsEATalready.com
Software Developer:   http://GrooveTask.org
Email: address@hidden