Re: [eLyXer-users] Re: Advice for another LyX-oriented project

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Re: Advice for another LyX-oriented project
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:22:18 +0100

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Jack Desert <address@hidden> wrote:
>> eLyXer is in fact contained in the Windows alt installer, without any
>> further requirements than Python 2.4 or later. It will use ImageMagick
>> if present for image conversion.
>
> I notice that on windows (Vista, at least), a python file is not executable
> unless it has a .py extension. Is this why you chose to name the executable
> 'elyxer.py' instead of simply 'elyxer'? Or are there other reasons?

As eLyXer is a Python script I think it is better to show its true
nature and keep the Python extension. On Windows for example; Windows
needs the extension .py which is associated in the registry to the
Python runtime. However some GNU/Linux distributions as Debian prefer
to strip the extension, as Sven says below -- I'm a faithful Debian
user and I'm fine with it. I ship elyxer.py, Sven converts it to
elyxer and we are all happy.

Alex.