Re: [eLyXer-users] Wishlist item: Cross References to Citations

From: Rainer Dorsch
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Wishlist item: Cross References to Citations
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:58:03 +0200

Hi Alex,

Am Sonntag, 20. Juni 2010 schrieb Alex Fernandez:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Rainer Dorsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> > not sure if this is the right place to post this idea:
>
> Sure.
>
> > We frequently store the files for the references in the bibtex file, e.g.
> > cocke.pdf for
>
> [...]
>
> >  file = {:cocke.pdf:PDF},
>
> [...]
>
> > This format "file = ..." is the default format of jabref.
>
> I assume the :filename:FORMAT is also something of a standard?

It is probably not (yet?) a widely implemented standard:

I have not noticed the file tag in the past, and I am not sure it is contained
in the official bibtex format definition. I have not seen bibtex/pdflatex
itself creating links in the pdf.

I did a google search to find out more (bibtex and file is not a good search
term :-( ), but the jabref page does not say a whole lot:

http://jabref.sourceforge.net/help/FileLinks.php

Also bibtex.org does not allow a conclusion:

"There is a set of standard-tags existing, which can be interpreted by BibTeX
or third-party tools. Those which are unknown are ignored by BibTeX, thus can
be used to store additional information without interfering with the final
outcome of a document."
http://www.bibtex.org/Format/

I did a post on jabref-users to get more insight.

> > Getting a hyperlink to these (pdf) files from the Bibliography section
> > would be very useful for me.
>
> Sure, it should not take too much effort. Just let me know about the
> format and I will send you a test version.

Thanks, that sounds great (I was not sure if you parse the bibtex file
yourself or if you use some bibtex output and do not even get the field).

Thanks,
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch