Re: [eLyXer-users] Suggestion to add \stackrel support

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Suggestion to add \stackrel support
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:49:26 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Jose Ramon Alvarez Sanchez
<address@hidden> wrote:
> El sáb, 09-10-2010 a las 00:44 +0200, Alex Fernandez escribió:
>> I adjusted it a little bit, using 1em as vertical displacemenet from
>> the top, instead of -1ex fro the bottom. It is simpler to understand
>> IMHO (and also looks prettier).
>
> Yes from top is more natural, but 1em can be too much in other cases
> different from an arrow in the down part. In HTML the box height is
> fixed from the font size not from the real size of content (like LaTeX),
> so in a case like the following:
> $dp\stackrel{ppp}{\lim}bq$
> the upper letters tail overlap with letters bellow with 1em.

Right, this is the eternal problem with HTML vs PDF: LaTeX adjusts
output to contents, while in HTML CSS posititioning is mostly fixed.
Only with javascript can it be done precisely. I have added an example
to the Math showcase so you can see in the next version how MathJax
(the javascript library integrated with eLyXer) does it: correctly.

> Previous example looks better (similar to LaTeX) with "top: 0.7em;".

Seems like a good compromise.

> Thanks for your nice work.

Thanks for your contributions :D

Alex.