Re: [eLyXer-users] Suggestion: parse equations and \url{} inside bibliog

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Suggestion: parse equations and \url{} inside bibliography
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:41:05 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Jose Ramon Alvarez Sanchez
<address@hidden> wrote:
> some times it is necessary to use a small equation inside a
> bibliography. For example to write in a title some math symbol like:
> title = {Finding $\infty$ decimals of $\pi$}
> or just to have a superscript like "$20^{th}$ Century", etc.
>
> It would be nice if eLyXer could parse equations inside .bib files.
> Normal equations can be surrounded with "$...$" or with "\(...\)".
> The display mode equations "$$...$$" or "\[...\]" are very unlikely
> to appear inside a bibliography field, and in this case they could
> be better shown as inline equations. One extra problem is that the
> double dollar (deprecated but valid) could be mistaken for an empty
> equation.

Added to the wish list.

> Also, usually \url{} is needed inside any field of bibliography,
> apart from the "url" field.  For example, in a howpublished field
> or note field you can have something like:
> note = {Copies in \url{http://test.com} or \url{http://other.org}}

Added to the wish list too.

> Normal BibTeX does not show the "url" field but it understand
> "\url{}" in other fields.

In my understanding, the url field is shown by BibTeX; at least it was
requested by a user a while back.

> Currently the content of "\url{}" in bibliography is displayed as
> plain text by eLyXer but it is recognized and displayed as link
> by LaTeX with hyperref, etc.

If it is a LyX feature which is missing in eLyXer then it should be
treated as a bug; however BibTeX is kind of a gray area, so allow me
to keep both in the wish list.

Alex.