[eLyXer-users] Re: Using the --noconvert Option for images

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [eLyXer-users] Re: Using the --noconvert Option for images
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:48:59 +0100

Hi Jack,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Jack Desert <address@hidden> wrote:
> When I use elyxer on a file with a .jpg image in it, the .jpg image
> (600k) is being transformed into a .png image (3.5M). I wouldn't mind
> so much the change in format, except that the converted image is six
> times the size on disk as the original!

May I interest the gentleman in the --forceformat option:
     --forceformat ".ext":   force image output format

Using --forceformat ".jpg" should do the trick.

> Settings:
> python -m elyxer  --directory $$r $$i $$o

> Scenario 2
>
> So I tried the --noconvert option, but then the resulting html page
> didn't show the correct path to the image. Hence, no picture. Here is
> the html snippet for this latter case:

With the --noconvert option you are supposed to copy the file
yourself. Maybe I should add a
  --format copy
or something for this cases.

> Settings:
> python -m elyxer  --noconvert --directory $$r $$i $$o

Actually, the optimal conversion should be done in-place, instead of
copying the document to a special directory. I don't know how to do
that from inside LyX, I always convert my documents from the command
line:
  python -m elyxer --noconvert original.lyx output.html
If you do it this way, eLyXer should not convert by default any images
and point to their original locations.

> Suggestions? Is there a way to prevent the converted image from being
> so huge (scenario 1)?

In summary: --forceformat ".jpg"

> How do I get the --noconvert option to work
> while still displaying the image (scenario 2)?

--noconvert from the same directory.

> By the way, I'm using Elyxer 1.0.4 and LyX 2.0.0beta1

How does it perform? I don't have many reports from the field about LyX 2.0.

Thanks,

Alex.