Re: [eLyXer-users] split document: 1st and last page navigation

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] split document: 1st and last page navigation
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:20:46 +0100

Hi again,

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Axel Jacobs <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Maybe the UP: link in the first page should go by default to ".",
>>> so it could send the user to the container directory where the file
>>> resides. And a new command line option (--uplink) could be added
>>> to insert another different url for the up link in the first page.

The original bug reports ("Up:" link to self at the beginning, and
empty "Next:" that unbalances the header at the end) should be fixed
by now, please confirm.

> My own conclusion is therefore that, at least for now, one would have to
> squeeze the Elyxer output into a template that takes care of all the site
> integration. This template would then have a get-me-out-of-here link, or a
> more elaborate form of site integration.

I think the template is an excellent solution; as you will probably
know there is even the --template option to help with this.

> Having said all this, José Ramón's suggestion of the --uplink would actually
> make sense. However, instead of redefining the Up: link on the first page,
> it could be a little header (or footer) in it's own right, sitting above the
> page nav header and below the page nav footer of ALL pages. --uplink would
> require two string args: the visible text, and the url:
>
> --uplink "Go back to documentation index" "../../docs/index.html"

Not that José Ramón's suggestion doesn't have merits, of course; but
one must ponder the benefits against the costs. In this case it looks
too complex when a template is probably a better solution anyway.

Alex.