Re: [eLyXer-users] Using LyX to convert arbitrary files.

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Using LyX to convert arbitrary files.
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 10:06:40 +0200

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Tommaso Cucinotta <address@hidden> wrote:
> Very nice. One last thing. I guess I'd need a test in configure.py about the
> version of elyxer currently installed, so probably there's someway to
> issue a "elyxer --version", and change the way elyxer is invoked depending
> on its output. What would be the release accepting the new syntax ?

It will be in 1.2.4, you can get the raw version number using:
  $ elyxer.py --hardversion
But that is a bit ugly, isn't it? LyX should not have to know about
eLyXer. (eLyXer shouldn't either have to know about LyX, but that is a
minor evil IMHO.)

I can release the next version with "lyx -C" as the default converter,
assuming that most people will have LyX installed, and if not they can
choose a new converter. In the most usual setup the result will be the
same: eLyXer uses LyX as converter, which uses ImageMagick underneath.

For other environments users can easily change the default converter.
This might have some backwards compatibility issues but they are
pretty marginal. I am cc'ing the eLyXer users list to check if anyone
objects. If the need arises I might check for LyX and if absent go to
ImageMagick, but as this check must be done for every conversion I
would prefer to keep it simple.

Alex.