Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 83c3a61: lisp/gnus/message.el (message-send-mai

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 83c3a61: lisp/gnus/message.el (message-send-mail): Don't wrongly assert on Unicode msg
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 11:00:28 +0200

> >     the message seding is handled by an external program, so no Unicode
> >     encoding is performed in Emacs. Thus Emacs must not assert that the
> >     Unicode encoding was performed.
>
> Not sure what this has to do with Unicode.  It seems to just be about
> encoding or not encoding: whether encoding is done with one of the
> Unicode coding-systems (e.g. utf-8) or something else (e.g. latin-1)
> doesn't seem to make a difference.
>
> Or am I missing something?

I'm sending an SMIME-encoded message using openssl. This requires to
keep the plain text non-encoded.

There's already existing message.el code that sets
`message-inhibit-body-encoding' to t. But if the encoding is
inhibited, we should not assert if Unicode was not encoded. Thanks to
this patch I can now send SMIME-encoded email that has e.g. German
umlauts in it.

I found the existing support for sending SMIME-encoded email lacking.
For a while, some mail clients would detect the sent email as signed,
but others not. I can contribute the openssl signing code that works
for me now if there's interest.

regards,
Oleh