Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 08:21:33 +0200

On 2019-06-06, at 16:35, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 22:25:17 +0900
>>
>>  Why is it useful to have different behavior on GUI and TTY frames?
>>
>> Because expectations are different ?
>
> Are they?  I don't think so.

Of course they are.

I don't expect to be able to view a pdf in Emacs on a TTY frame, for
instance.

But (to be more serious) I also expect some keybindings not to work on
a TTY frame.

And let me mention that I consider Jean-Christophe's emails extremely
valuable.  It's not often that we have a normal person (aka
non-(technical geek) - as opposed to a (non-technical) geek, which
Jean-Christophe seems to be;-)) here.  There are people outside IT that
want to use Emacs, and every bit in the manual that is confusing for
them is worth being fixed.

Also, even though I've been an Emacs user for about two decades now, and
I've been a computer geek for about three decades now, the ESC / C-[
legacy is still rather baffling for me.

My 2 cents,

--
Marcin Borkowski