Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 18:23:24 +0200

On Mon, Jun 10 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> If you restrict to certain face properties such as face
>> colors, you can ensure there's no change in width.
>
> How can we justify support for only some faces?

What I meant really is just specific face properties to avoid the need
to recalculate widths, but now that I check, we already allow to
"line-number-current-line-face" to be a different face entirely.

> I'm trying to avoid such feature creep in this case, be that as
> un-emacsy as it might seem.

I'm quite happy about display-line-numbers. I'm using it more than
before now that it has little difference in performance, so I concur.

I also consider color-banding very helpful for readability though.
That's the reason most tape measures and rulers have alternate ticks or
colors.