RE: Filling the docstring generated by define-minor-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Filling the docstring generated by define-minor-mode
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 13:15:04 -0700 (PDT)

> > Maybe more than such a change is needed.  I don't
> > know what gets substituted for %s here.
>
> The minor mode name, mostly. Which can be a single, short word, or as
> long as display-fill-column-indicator, or more. Which makes finding a
> good answer for any such format impractical.

Presumably you mean `display-fill-column-indicator-mode',
which is even worse.

> > Blindly filling such stuff automatically asks for
> > trouble, IMO.
>
> Generally speaking, I agree.

If we impose that here then a user defining a minor
mode has zero control over it.  If we don't fill
blindly then users have control.  They can do what
they think is best.

For such generated text, I think, it's best to use
text that doesn't require mentioning the particular
name at all, or mentions it just once, on a separate
line.

Trying to inject unknown names (let alone unknown
arbitrary text) into some boilerplate text, and then
filling the result, is a recipe for bad results.
And it's not really needed, is it?

The user's part of the doc string should be under
her control, and the generated part should preferably
not inject (i.e., %s) any text at all.  That should
be doable, I think.