Re: Towards a cleaner build: cedet

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build: cedet
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 18:58:44 -0400

On 6/13/19 12:35 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
cedet/ede/config.el:388:5:Warning: Unknown slot `:c-preprocessor-table'
[...]
Oh!  Those are without colons?  Is that the entire issue here, that the
check is strict about colons/not colons and the rest of cedet doesn't
care?

Here's the story:
- in CLOS, you can access slots with `slot-value` where you specify the
   slot-name (typically a non-keyword symbol).

[...]

I'd like to deprecate this "feature" of EIEIO which just makes things
(marginally) slower and makes EIEIO unnecessarily different from CLOS.

Thanks for looking into this. I was not familiar with CLOS when I implemented EIEIO, as I was mainly focused on creating something I could use to build CEDET. Anything that makes the system more compliant with standards sounds like a good idea to me.

To poke at other topics from this thread; there is an externally maintained CEDET, but it has been dormant for a while. The external repository is b/c I couldn't get a general release from my company which would allow me to work in Emacs proper, so I needed to batch changes up and release them together. Sadly, I haven't been developing code for several years, and never taught myself enough git to be able to do the merges. As a bonus those merges were too much of a pain for others once EIEIO in Emacs changed, so the project just fizzled.

There are a small number of fixes in CEDET on SourceForge not in Emacs, but nothing too significant. Mostly around some EDE & arduino / android stuff I had been fiddling with at home.

There was a question about tests for CEDET. In the Sourceforge CEDET repository you can run the tests with Make, but those weren't merged into Emacs. There are two collections, one set are unit tests. Those are independent and could be merged a piece at a time. Another set was more of an integration test. Those might be tricky to bring over since not all of CEDET was merged into Emacs. They also depend on compilers and such being installed.

Hope this helps
Eric