Re: Byte compilation without writing the .elc file

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Byte compilation without writing the .elc file
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 09:14:22 -0400

On 2019-06-23 07:53, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> So I think it would be a good idea if Emacs had a command called, say,
> `byte-compile-buffer' that does the same thing as `byte-compile-file',
> but for the current buffer and without outputting anything.  Does that
> sound OK?

I think it would be great.  In Flycheck we have to save a copy of the buffer,
and tweak byte-compile-dest-file-function to create a temporary output file,
too.  If both of these could go it would be awesome.

I think you could even make byte-compile-buffer return a other buffer with the
ELC contents, and then byte-compile-file could be trivially implemented in
terms of that.