Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 00:28:03 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> On 6/24/19 2:33 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> the code also calls code_convert_string, so I thought one
>> more xmalloc didn't make much difference.
>
> If code_convert_string could cause an infloop when reporting
> low-on-memory messages, then we should fix that infloop too. In the
> meantime we shouldn't make things worse by doing yet another heap
> allocation.

But as you've said -- this isn't a general stderr Emacs thing -- this
function is called solely from `message', right?  I tried tracing all
the calls, and that was my conclusion, but I may well have missed
something.

So any very low-level messages about low-on-memory wouldn't be hitting
that code at all, I would have thunk.  Thinked.  Thought.