Re: master 13fe8a2: Fix rare undefined behaviors in replace-match

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master 13fe8a2: Fix rare undefined behaviors in replace-match
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 13:30:08 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
This is probably a better error to signal here for this error, but it
possibly changes the behaviour.  If somebody previously had
condition-case'd this for args-out-of-range, then they'll get a new
error signalled now (which is why I kept that signal)...

In this particular case the error is so rare and the signal so inappropriate for the error that I thought it better to make the signal more accurate. It's possible for (replace-match ... N) to work for N equal to 0, 1, 3, and 4 but to signal an error for other N, so signaling an args-out-of-range error when N=2 would be misleading.

Another possibility would be to signal a domain error when N=2 in that example.