Re: Emacs memory management and sluggishness

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: Re: Emacs memory management and sluggishness
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2019 23:28:26 -0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 06:46:13 -0300

>> > What image library is used for that?  Is it ImageMagick or is it
>> > something else?

>> From https://github.com/politza/pdf-tools

>> It uses poppler to render PDFs.  "...there is one feature (following
>> links of a PDF document by plain keystrokes) which requires
>> imagemagick’s convert utility."

>> When I woke this morning, memory usage went from about 200-300 MB to
>> about 3 GB overnight.  No PDFs were open.

> Is it possible to use some memory-mapping tool to figure out which
> part of the Emacs process uses most of those GBytes?  It would be
> interesting to see if the data belongs to one of the libraries used by
> Emacs or to the Emacs code itself.

Not sure about the memory-mapping tool.

I reverted back to a commit from May 25 and I see a bit of sluggishness
whenever the garbage collector does it's job, but the memory usage does
not explode to several GB and take down the box.  If I can find some
time, I will try to bisect commits to determine what change introduced
the problem.