Re: encode-time vs decode-time

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: encode-time vs decode-time
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 02:25:48 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
I thought it would be good to introduce a new function, say
`get-current-time', that could have our new signature.  We'd then
deprecate `current-time'

It's not just current-time; it's also encode-time, file-attributes, directory-files-and-attributes, visited-file-modtime, current-idle-time, process-attributes, get-internal-run-time, make-frame-visible, time-add, time-subtract, and no doubt other primitives written in C that make Lisp timestamps visible to user code, along with the many functions written in Lisp (e.g., time-since) that call these primitives and give Lisp timestamps to users. We'd have to come up with new names for all these functions, and all the user-visible variables these functions store into, and deprecate all the old names. And during this deprecation period, Emacs-defined and user-defined code would have to support both old- and new-format timestamps since code could generate either.

Of course it would be possible but it'll be easier for everyone concerned if we just bite the bullet at some point - not in the next version of course, but eventually, with an option to not-bite-the-bullet-quite-yet for people who need that option.