Re: PATCH: isearch-yank-until-char

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: PATCH: isearch-yank-until-char
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 16:29:30 -0500

On 26 Aug 2019, Drew Adams wrote:
>OK.
>
>(But I can guess the outcome.  It's OK; I can always
>just add the enhancement to isearch+.el.  It won't be
>the first time.)

Well, I can't say what the outcome would be, but in any case that shouldn't be
affected by the order in which we do these things.

>FYI, it doesn't do that in the parts that are doc.
>Those patch parts still speak of `C-M-c'.

Gah -- I rushed.  Thank you for noticing that.  New patch attached.

>> * Make the search for the character case-sensitive.  (Seems like a
>> pretty obvious improvement, given the use cases: when the goal
>> character is a letter at all, one is either looking at that letter on
>> the screen *or* the letter is some known syntactic delimiter and its
>> case is therefore known as well even if the letter is off the screen
>> right now.)
>
>FWIW, I don't think that's really TRT.
>
>Personally, I have `case-fold-search' set to nil by
>default, so that behavior isn't a problem for me.
>But I don't think it should be part of this command.
>
>Users can toggle case-folding in Isearch easily.
>
>There's no reason to have this command make an
>assumption about whether its char-search should be
>case-sensitive.  I don't think the either...or
>assumption you made above is good for the command
>to make.  Better to let users control whether to
>search for the char case-sensitively.

When I think about the circumstances under which this command is actually used,
which I tried to characterize above, I couldn't think of any in which
case-insensitive matching would make sense -- speaking of just the char-match,
of course, not the overall isearch.  The overall isearch still obeys
`isearch-case-fold-search'.  When the user toggles case-folding in isearch,
that should and does affect the isearch itself, but that isn't the same as the
single-char match-and-yank-into-search-string we're talking about here.  For
the latter, case-sensitivity makes sense I think.

Can you say which part of the assumptions I gave above seems wrong to you?

Best regards,
-Karl