Re: Question about display engine

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about display engine
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 18:31:42 +0200

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 02:19:03PM +0200, martin rudalics wrote:
I think we should simply not merge the background color of the region
face when its extend bit is reset.  Then the merged face will not have
that background color.

Then which background color would we use?  That of the comment was
lost when setting up the current face for the iterator.

I don't see a problem here.  A user who doesn't want the region face's
background extend to the end of line wants only text (as opposed to
whitespace after the newline) to have the region's background, and
that's true both to regions that cross line boundaries and regions that
end at a newline.

I agree that we don't want to extend the region's background.  But the
question I raised above still stands.

We could make :extend sticky in the sense that once an :extend for the
background has been defined, it will apply to all higher priority faces
as well.  This would make specifying a nil :extend value idempotent to
not specifying a value at all as you (IIRC) proposed earlier.  But the
mechanism then becomes considerably less powerful.

Any way my question comes from 2 frequent use cases I don't know what's
the expected behavior:

1) Base face sets background and extend; and face sets only background.

2) Base face sets extend but not background; and face sets both.

in what condition the :extend attribute goes to the merged face? Always?
when in base_face? When in face?

in what condition the extend_element bits are reset after a merge?
Maybe the display engine could consult, with the stop position
privilege triggered by the newline character in mind, whether the
extend_background false setting of the current face could result in
applying another, lower-priority face specified by font-locking and
consult the extend_background bit of the corresponding realized face.

I don't think I understand this proposal.

Let's talk about it when we both see a problem here.

martin