Re: Why subr.el doesn't provide a feature?

From: Zhu Zihao
Subject: Re: Why subr.el doesn't provide a feature?
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:15:09 +0800

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 18:12:36 +0800,
Basil L. Contovounesios wrote:

> Zhu Zihao <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Should we add a provide form for subr? I ask this question because I see a
> > elisp
> > file wrote "(require 'subr)" and no doubt that it failed to run because
> > subr.el
> > didn't provide such feature.
>
> Can you show which file this was in?
> Perhaps the author meant to write (require 'subr-x).
>
> --
> Basil
Thanks for your intention, but I think it just a misnomer because the author of
that elisp file had require subr-x explicitly.

And now subr requirement had been removed in
https://github.com/manateelazycat/snails/commit/4677daf80a8ee6d5202b98d1acde7a99c2294ec9

IMO, missing provide form is a counter-intuitive behavior because almost all
library have one(even backquote.el). I can't find a reason for why subr lacks
this, so I guess adding provide form for subr may breaks emacs bootstrap.