Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 10:09:43 +0200

    Juanma> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 8:54 AM Robert Pluim <address@hidden> wrote:
    >> I thought the convention for C-level variables for Lisp variables was
    >> to stick a 'V' on the front, but I see Eli didnʼt do that for
    >> display-line-numbers-widen, so now Iʼm wondering.

    Juanma> I think it's usually not done for native type variables: integer,
boolean.
    Juanma> But I could be wrong.

I canʼt find any documentation stating that, although a quick scan of eg
xdisp.c supports that.

    >> Also: if you add this new variable to lisp/cus-start.el, it will be
    >> customizable.

    Juanma> Yes, I did that with the major/minor ticks.

    Juanma> But the offset strikes me as a variable that doesn't make much
sense to
    Juanma> customize. More like setting it in a mode hook or something.

    Juanma> Do you feel otherwise?

I was thinking of the case where people want a particular value in
most of their buffers, in which case they'd want a default, which
they'd then override for a few cases with a mode-hook. I canʼt judge
how common that would be though.

Robert