Re: Intelligent stacking of messages in the echo area

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Intelligent stacking of messages in the echo area
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 13:35:03 +0800

> Maybe this is because multi-line messages resize the echo-area window
> every time a new message line is added (when resize-mini-windows is non-nil),
> so height changes of the echo-area window invoke
> window-configuration-change-hook.

I suspect that it is exactly the case.
However, window-configuration-change-hook is not fired so frequently in
other functions like split-window.
Most likely, it is because window-configuration-change-hook is only
called during redisplay. From its docstring:
"Functions called during redisplay when window configuration has
changed."

I guess that resizing echo-area forcefully calls redisplay and hence
window-configuration-change-hook, thus slowing down command execution.

Best,
Ihor

> Now for the multi-message feature where multi-line messages are
> not an exception but a rule, one way to mitigate it is to use
> a message separator other than a newline, e.g.
>
> (setq multi-message-separator (propertize ";" 'face 'minibuffer-prompt))
>
> In a wide frame, one echo-area line can accommodate several short messages
> without resizing the echo-area window.

This is a workaround, not a solution.
Also, I am using a laptop with small screen and this workaround does not
really work for me (at least for org-capture, which emits fairly long
messages).

--
Ihor Radchenko,
PhD,