Re: Adding Emms to ELPA (take 2), and a technical question

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Adding Emms to ELPA (take 2), and a technical question
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 22:46:53 -0400

>> outside of using elpa. For instance, I know that there are people who
>> package Emms for Debian and other OS' using their own package
>> managers. I don't want to rock their boat if possible.
>
> Those people can package ELPA packages their eyes closed (try `apt
> search elpa-` to see why I think so). They will likely stop using their
> ad-hoc packaging once it's available via GNU ELPA and will use their
> generic support for packaging ELPA packages instead.
>
>> I made a file in the top-level of the emms distribution named
>> emms-elpa.el. emms-elpa.el contains the headers (Author, Version,
>> Package-Requires, etc.), followed by:
>
> The file that contains those headers *has* to be called <pkg>.el, so if
> you call it `emms-elpa.el` the package will have to be called `emms-elpa`.
>
>> ;;;###autoload (load "lisp/emms-auto" nil 'nowarn)
>
> LGTM.
>
>> You can see it here:
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emms.git/tree/emms-elpa.el
>>
>> lisp/emms-auto.el is generated by lisp/Makefile to contain autoloads for
>> the .el files under lisp/
>
> Perfect.
>
>> I don't understand how that would be enough to provide a valid load-path
>> to the files in the lisp/ directory though.
>
> That won't be enough.  You probably want to add
>
>     (add-to-list 'load-path (directory-file-name (or (file-name-directory
> load-file-name) (car load-path))))
>
> to that `lisp/emms-auto.el` file.
>

>         Stefan

Does it makes sense for me to package Emms up in a ELPA-format archive,
load it into an local Emacs instance here, and see if it all works
before pinging the list again?

This would allow me to continue modifying things on my branch of Emms
here and check that it works for myself. All this without polluting the
main branch of Emms, or bugging y'all before everything is good to go.