Re: Updating dired-guess-shell-alist-default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Updating dired-guess-shell-alist-default
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 15:48:26 -0400

> So you suggest to use xdg-open if it's available, and otherwise do
> what? leave the current associations intact? or something else?

Actually, that might be a good&simple solution, yes.

> Does xdg-open invoke different programs than what we have now in
> dired-guess-shell-alist-default?

It all depends on the system you have (and the tools that are
installed), but yes, xpdf and xloadimage seem rather outdated (they
still exist but are much less popular than they once were).

> Is there a way to know what it invokes for each file type?

Do you mean for use to know statistically what it uses most often,
or for Emacs to determine it at runtime?

        Stefan