Re: [Proposal] New EUDC backend for macOS address book

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Proposal] New EUDC backend for macOS address book
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 23:53:31 -0400

Which document is this patch for?  It seems to say positive things
about various MacOS applications.

Are those applications free software?  If not, we should not suggesting that
people use them.

Please see the node References in the GNU Coding Standards for our
general policy about references to nonfree programs.  Basically, it is
ok to mention them only if the reader surely already knows about them,
but don't encourage people to use them.

For example, it is ok to mention MacOS because the reader surely has
already heard of it, and ok to say how to make Emacs work with MacOS
(for the sake of users who are already using MacOS and want to use
Emacs).  But don't say anything that might encourage people to try
MacOS if they don't already use it.  In particular, don't describe its
functionalities or advantages.

The same questions apply to any nonfree program that runs on MacOS,
but the amswers will be different.  Will Mac users who try EUDC
generally already know about macOS Contacts?  I don't know.  If so,
you can talk about how to make EUDC work with macOS Contacts -- but
please don't say anything about how to use macOS Contacts itself,
or what it can do.

--
Dr Richard Stallman