Re: Lisp

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Lisp
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 05:39:44 +0000

There will be nice references from history of programming languages. If I am
not mistaken LISP is the second programming language after FORTRAN, and many
other programming languages have been derived from LISP.
Scheme, including Guile is derived from LISP, it is considered LISP dialect.

GNU Emacs has decades of development, its development started before many new
programming languages that came to existence and became popular. Thus there are
historical reasons for LISP. One need to review the history of LISP development
and programming language developments to understand it all.

There are practical and programmatic reasons for LISP beside historical
reasons. I am of opinion that programmatic reasons played the major role.

Here is one reference for you:
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/introduction-why-lisp.html

Here is more reasons for Emacs Lisp:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eintr/Why.html

Myself, I like the extensibility of Emacs Lisp, it gives me environment to
handle almost all my business needs. In my opinion, the years from 1980-2000
were interesting years, people were more interested in programming and
purchasing a computer brought many people into programming. Especially in
earlier years, computers were delivered with books for programmnig languages.
And I remember companies were designating one person to learn and do whatever
software was necessary for the single company. I have seen those companies,
visited them and visited programmers, even when I was a boy. They had output on
the printer, there was no monitor for big computers. I have seen accountants
sitting late night and studying the program and making new programs for
invoices and other business  calculations. And I have worked with a teacher who
programmed anything necessary for pupils to learn better. Programming was in.
Almost everybody I knew at that time, including colleauges of my parents,
including teachers, and boys and girls who went into comput club, was aware
that anything we wanted, we could program ourselves. Games were harder to do,
yet we programmed even games, it was more fun playing one's own game then
commercial games. So I come from the period of time which taught me that
anything I need can be programmed, so I do programming for me and my business
myself.

Emacs Lisp offers me already the environment, like menues, it gives me key
functions, it gives me foundation, so I can extend it as I wish, doing any
possible business or private tasks, accounting entries into database are
conducted through Emacs for multiple companies, projects and tasks are managed
by Emacs, sending SMS and receiving SMS recently I do by Emacs, all notes, SMS,
faxes, emails are recorded into database by using Emacs, and  I can extend it
with few minutes or hours as I wish. As everything is related to writnig, Emacs
Lisp becomes my best choice. All entries, all text is related to text editing,
so that is very proper to have as foundation or environment that may be further
extended and integrated with other life and business tasks.

For example, in Dired file manager or directory editor, I just press SUPER-M to
mail the file or files to specific person, Emacs Lisp function asks me for name
of person, I choose one email among others, and files are sent quickly, wthout
launching separate software or email reader. Similar integration is within
Android or Replicant operating systems. You can click on files and easier share
them.

That is example, anything can be done and extending new functions to well
prepared foundation helps me in life.