Re: Lisp

From: Lars Brinkhoff
Subject: Re: Lisp
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 07:15:14 +0000

Mingde (Matthew) Zeng wrote:
> RMS wrote:
>> I was on the team that developed the Lisp Machine operating system,
>> but that is not why I love Lisp.  It's the other way around: I did
>> that because I love Lisp.
>
> So, why did you love Lisp in the first place? ;-)

Not to answer for RMS', but to add a bit of historical context.

Emacs, Lisp, and the Lisp Machine all came from the MIT AI lab.  The
predecessor to the lispm was Maclisp running on ITS, which also hosted
the TECO editor used to build the first Emacs.  Many AI researchers and
ITS hackers used Maclisp, and many prominent Lisp features first saw the
light of day here.