Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 19:17:11 +0300

> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 18:36:33 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: philip@warpmail.net, theo@thornhill.no, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > There's nothing hard in understanding what the current code returns: you
> > navigate to the function's definition and look at the end.
>
> Documentation exists so that I won't need to follow a chain of several
> functions to find the answer to a simple question.  (And no, just
> reading the code of project-try-vc is not enough, not unless you know
> by heart what each one of the functions it calls does and returns.)

Can we approach this from a different angle, please?  Can you tell why
you are so opposed to having this small piece of information in the
doc strings?  What harm can it do that you consider unacceptable?

I added that piece of information because without it I couldn't wrap
my head around what the code does, in particular when it tries to
determine which projects are equal to which.  I reckon if this was
difficult for me, there will be others who could benefit from having
that info.  I guess you don't have this problem, because you wrote
most of that code.  But even so, why is it so important not to divulge
that information?