Re: longtime user of emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: longtime user of emacs
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 08:39:36 +0800

andres.ramirez <rrandresf@gmail.com> writes:

> This is just a curious question.  How many years an emacs user needs
> for being considered a longtime emacs user?.

I don't think there ever was a standard for this, so we shouldn't really
compare people based on how 'long' they have used Emacs for.

> Other questions.  Do You think vanilla emacs has good defaults?  If
> your answer to the previous question is "No". What would You change on
> vanilla emacs defaults?

I think the Emacs defaults are reasonable.  They might not be good, but
they have stood the test of time for nearly 4 (!) decades, and it
probably isn't a very good idea to change them.

There have been various platforms over the past 4 decades, most with
very different user interface 'standards' and trends.  Emacs in one form
or the other has run on all of them, and has run in a consistent way.
I don't believe it's a very good idea to change that.

Also, here's some anecdotal experience:
Modern software changing every once in a while to fullfill trends is one
of the reasons many users use Emacs.  If Emacs starts changing to
fullfill the latest UI trends, I'm reasonably sure many people would leave.