RE: "whether the global keymap C-x 4 will be replaced by a command,"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: "whether the global keymap C-x 4 will be replaced by a command,"
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 07:41:09 -0700 (PDT)

> > This means that after binding the current ctl-x-4-map in Emacs core
> > to the other-window command, 'C-h k C-x 4' will display the help for
> > that command, not for the whole sequence 'C-h k C-x 4 C-f'.
>
> I don't think we can/should make `C-h k` read all of `C-x 4 C-f`,
> indeed.  But maybe we could make the following work:
> `C-x 4 C-h k C-f`.

Quelle horreur !

Farther & farther from Occam - more & more complex.
For what gain?  Don't multiply things unnecessarily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

This _looks_ like a solution that's looking for
a problem to solve.  Evidence to the contrary?

We already have `C-x 4 C-h', which shows you
every `C-x 4' key sequence and its command, with
a link to its doc.  Que demande le peuple ?

Global Bindings Starting With C-x 4:
key             binding
---             -------

C-x 4 C-f       find-file-other-window
C-x 4 C-o       display-buffer
C-x 4 .         xref-find-definitions-other-window
C-x 4 0         kill-buffer-and-window
C-x 4 a         add-change-log-entry-other-window
C-x 4 b         switch-to-buffer-other-window
C-x 4 c         clone-indirect-buffer-other-window
C-x 4 d         dired-other-window
C-x 4 f         find-file-other-window
C-x 4 m         compose-mail-other-window
C-x 4 r         find-file-read-only-other-window

And we already have `C-h k C-x 4 C-f'.  `C-h k'
just _works_ -- for any key sequence.

It ain't broke; please don't fix it.  There are
many other things to work on - real, not imaginary,
problems.