Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 22:25:42 +0300

On 17.07.2020 19:56, John Yates wrote:

OTOH I have been programming for just shy of 50 years.  Over that time I have continually increased the size and scope of projects I could tackle primarily by looking for ways to build and compose ever better abstractions.  Sometimes that has taken the form of adopting
a new programming language, sometimes a new methodology or disciple.

Conversely, one of the banes of my existence has been leaky abstractions.  For better or worse, based maining on the untyped nature of lisp and its culture of describing how to interpret structures of various shapes, my overriding impression of the lisp world in general and of elisp in particular is that they are rife with leaky abstractions.

I commend Dmitry's desire to provide an opaque abstraction for a project.

Thanks, John.

Sadly, in
this instance I suspect that such an effort is an attempt to swim against an impossibly
strong tide.  (If you cannot beat them, join them :-)

I don't know if it's true.

project.el has seen a certain level of adoption for the last few years, and some very nice contributions recently. All without using the approach to documentation that Eli is advocating for.