Re: Regarding outline headings in emacs-lisp libraries

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Re: Regarding outline headings in emacs-lisp libraries
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 18:41:16 -0700

I'd definitely find this useful.

I started using a version of folding.el that was posted to Usenet in the
early 90's and still use it -- updated to a version from melpa a couple
of years ago. The emacspeak codebase uses this in all files.

Other elisp libraries that bring similar functionality:
1. allout  -- has been part of emacs for a long time, but has its own
   drawbacks

   2. More recent: outshine   which gives you similar functionality to
      what you outline.

      3. Lacking anything else, I use emacs' selective-display to
         collapse code below a specific indentation level (C-x $).

         All that said, having something common across Emacs libraries
         would be a big win