Edebug (was: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Edebug (was: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 18:12:18 -0400

> Edebug is difficult.  So far I have no idea why that is: perhaps because of
> the coding style, but more likely just due to the problem domain.

I think Edebug deserves a fair bit of work, indeed.
Most importantly in the form of comments to describe the
data-structures and control-flow.

Without this info it's hard to decide whether the actual code could be
improved much, tho.

IIUC the debug-specs are similar to PEGs, so maybe they'd benefit from
being described in these terms.

>> When gaps are found in that interface, people will use the internal
>> details to craft a workaround whether the documentation is there or
>> not.  (I have done this at least once in the past.)

Emacs is built on the idea that allowing the user to do that is
a good idea.  IOW, we embrace this "problem" as a feature.
But that doesn't mean that we're bound to preserve compatibility with
such hacks.

        Stefan