Re: ELPA -- making individual packages

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: ELPA -- making individual packages
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 10:41:28 -0700

Benjamin Riefenstahl <b.riefenstahl@turtle-trading.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Stefan Monnier writes:
>> I don't think `make` can do exactly that, but there's no doubt that we
>> should be able to provide a way to build just a particular package
>> (maybe the target would have to be called something else than just
>> `gnorb`, e.g. `compile-gnorb`).  It's probably not that hard.
>
> Right, in GNU make I have done it like this before:
>
>   compile-%:
>       echo Making package $* ...
>       [commands to make the package]
>
>   test-%:
>       echo Testing package $* ...
>       [commands to test the package]

Well, this is as far as I've been able to get:

.PHONY:
compile-%:
        @if [ -d "$(CURDIR)/packages/$*" ]; then                      \
          $(MAKE) -C "$(CURDIR)/packages/$*" "*.elc";                 \
        else                                                          \
          echo "No such package: $*";                                 \
        fi;

I'm not able to give any target to the sub-invocation of make that it
will recognize as a valid target.

I figured this rule shouldn't build autoloads or the *-pkg.el file, so
it would be pretty simple, but I'm basically shooting in the dark here.

Eric