[no subject]

From: Ag Ibragimov
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 00:04:28 -0700

Spacemacs (community-driven Emacs distribution/config) has a feature called
Layers, Doom-Emacs (another community-driven Emacs config) has a similar
feature (I think they are called Modules).

A Layer is a bundle of [related] Emacs packages that work together and very
often tightly integrate (with one another) to provide a comprehensive set of
features to achieve specific goals. For example, there are many
language-specific Spacemacs layers: Python, Lua, Haskell, etc.
For example, the Python layer includes basic Python-related packages and sets
defaults for Flycheck, Company, etc.
There also layers for tools like Docker or layers for version-control, et al.

So my question is: Has anyone ever thought about designing a sort of
standardized module system? It would be great if we could have a unified model
for creating such bundles.
Wouldn't be nice if for example, instead of discovering, installing and configuring a bunch of related
packages, an Emacs user would say: "install LaTeX module" and then "customize "LaTeX
module", etc.

Emacs ecosystem is growing. There are hundreds (maybe more) packages; standardizing a system that
would allow the "plug-n-play" experience would be very nice. Otherwise, everyone would
continue solving same problems in their own, unique ways, increasing entropy towards the "Lisp
curse."