Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 23:10:39 +0300

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 15:30:56 -0400, Yuan Fu wrote:
> I generally agree with your point. However, what I have in mind is not
> changing defaults, but rather a configuration wizard, that can prompt
> user and let him select from Emacs binding vs CUA binding, Emacs undo
> vs simple undo/redo, themes, etc. I’ve seen such wizard in Intellj
> Idea, Spacemacs, etc. Something like (just an example):

That looks pretty reasonable to me.  Maybe it’d pop up if user does not
have a ‘user-init-file’, maybe with a prelude that asks "Hey, you don’t
have an init file, do you want to run the initial configuration wizard"?
Also, at the end, maybe redirect the user to a revised version of C-h t
that accomodates the preferences in the wizard.

IDK how relevant, but my observation is that most inexperienced users
are coming to Emacs for Org mode.  So maybe making https://orgmode.org
more informative for Emacs newbies could help too.  Maybe create a
couple ‘official’ video walkthroughs comparing these customisations
versus traditional Emacs way, pros and cons to each.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427