Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages with Emacs - what are we missing?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages with Emacs - what are we missing?
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 10:59:26 +0200

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> One thing I noted is that `M-x list-packages U' doesn't mark built-in
> packages for upgrading even when there is a newer version available from
> GNU ELPA.  Perhaps that's by design?  If not, it just sounds like a bug
> to fix.

Sorry to be the grinch, but I'm not sure this shall happen by
default. For example, Tramp is built-in in Emacs, and it exists also as
GNU ELPA package. Many people don't use it; why shall they be forced to
upgrade?

And, as said otherwere already, such an upgraded Emacs is different from
an Emacs started via "emacs -Q". For Tramp, it is essential to analyze
problems with an Emacs started as "emacs -Q". We would loose this
possiblitiy.

> Which hurdles remain?  What needs doing?

I believe we would need first a solution to these problems, before we
implement automatic upgrade of built-in packages.