Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusion

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 15:20:18 +0000

It should not just be "shorter", it should be *really* short. I've just read it again, for a new user it is almost useless. I think the following two keybindings would suffice: "C-x 1" and "C-g". And perhaps the four following ones to give the new user a sense of what using C-<something> and M-<something> is: "M-f and M-b", "C-a and C-e". Note that these four keybindings are also on M-left and M-right and home and end, which is what a new user would use (and it would work).

I would perhaps also add "M-%", which is very useful and not documented in the tutorial.

But the tutorial is not just about keybindings. It explains a lot of other turf, mainly the important concepts: buffer, window, mode line, etc.

A new user does not need to understand those subtleties. He already has an intuitive notion of what a buffer and a window are, which suffices to start using Emacs. It is enough to tell him that the mode-line contains the name of the major mode followed by minor modes, and that he can have a description of those modes and their bindings by pressing "C-h m".

BTW, there is another option that I would add in screen 3: tab-line-mode.