Re: master 262d0c6: Mark some tests as expensive

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 262d0c6: Mark some tests as expensive
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 14:11:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> How will that work if the change was in Tramp, or was related to
> Tramp?  In my case, for example, it would most probably mean none of
> the Tramp tests will ever run at all, because they all take more than
> 1 sec down here.
>
> Also, there are some tests with inherent delays (auto-revert tests are
> one example, but there are others) -- would that mean we don't run
> these, either?

Yes, if they take more than a second to run.

We've already made this decision with all the tests previously marked as
expensive, so there's nothing new here.  We are formalising what counts
as a "too slow" test for the default "make check" case.

We could add more levels -- we now only have "normal" and "expensive",
right?  We could add an in-between level, "quite-expensive" or whatever.

> What I do for a "fast test" use case is to run only the tests directly
> related to the change, usually the FOO-tests.el tests that correspond
> to the file FOO I've changed.  Sometimes, there are related tests in
> other files as well.  A simple "make FOO-tests" command is all that's
> needed.

I do that, too, when working on something specific.  But being able to
say "make check" gives me greater confidence that I've not messed up
something in a related area (and let's face it, the entirety of Emacs is
"a related area" :-)).