Re: Include ivy + counsel in Emacs core?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Include ivy + counsel in Emacs core?
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 21:14:30 +0200

Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> was ever considered the inclusion of ivy + counsel in the Emacs core
> distribution?
>
> ivy+counsel it's a quality package that reached already noticeable
> popularity.  Does fuzzy completion with vertical output display, and its
> counsel-M-X shows also the command key binding (feature I consider for
> my experience a _game changer_ for softening the learning curve).
> Finally it's already in ELPA.

As someone who has used ivy for several months I should note that it
doesn’t work well with “M-x rgrep” (it tries to complete files when
asked for a pattern); see also
https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/issues/286

There are also a couple of things that might trip up new users, for
example the need to hit C-j to confirm a new file name instead of
selecting a similar matching file name (which is what RET gives you).

While I think it’s pretty nice in general (and I do prefer it over Helm)
and an improvement over the default of no completion, I do feel it’s a
little … invasive or coercive in that it’s a bit awkward to bypass it.

--
Ricardo