Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 19:31:43 +0200

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 05:13:40PM +0000, Gregory Heytings via Emacs
development discussions. wrote:

Hi Ergus,

I gave your icomplete-vertical a try. It seems to work well so far, but there is one thing that does not work as expected (or, at least, as I expect it to work): for some reason when you complete a filename (find-file), the first candidate './' has been taken out of the candidate list (with both icomplete-format 'vertical and 'horizontal), which means that I see ("[]" is the point):

Find file: ~/[]/ | { <other candidates> }

or:

Find file: ~/[]./
<other candidates>

I do not understand why this is the case.

Likewise, when there are multiple candidates, icomplete-vertical behaves in a counterintuitive way with find-file, for example I see (with two candidate directories "foofoo and "foobar"):

Find file: ~/foo[]foofoo
foobar

You are right. This is a change I introduced recently to simplify
something else. I will fix it asap; the idea is that you may see:

Find file: ~/foofoo
foobar

and with a different option this:

Find file: ~/foo
foofoo
foobar

with the first foofoo fontified. As someone requested also to have this:

Find file: ~/foo
                foofoo
                foobar

or

Find file: ~/foo
             foofoo
             foobar

And personally I want this:

Find file: ~/foo
foofoo
  foobar

So I am working in all of them at the time avoiding adding too much
complexity. But the code get complex because I have to keep old
variables like the separator which I don't need (because I am using
formats)

I'll keep you posted when I fix this. It is not very complex indeed but
I am very busy these days.