Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code

From: David Koppelman
Subject: Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 14:25:58 -0500

Keep it at 80 columns, it's a widely adopted standard.

I keep my Emacs frames 80 columns wide because that fits many coding
styles, including my own work. I'd hate to see all those line
continuation characters when visiting elisp files.

I don't think there's any way to agree on an optimal width for E-lisp
code, or for material in other languages. Too large a width will tire
those reading code, the same holds for text (as someone here pointed
out), which is why newspaper columns are narrow.